10/22/12

From Puerto Rico to Segue

I've had the pleasure of working with a wonderful young woman in my seventh grade class this year. She's new to the country from Puerto Rico, and has had a rather difficult time adjusting to a new country, new school, and new language all at once. I'm fluent in Spanish and have consequently been assisting her throughout her classes this year. I have seen a steady increase in her comprehension skills throughout the past couple of months. For myself, it has sparked a great interest in working with students who English language learners. As an ELL student, you essentially have to do twice the work: you are expected to learn a foreign language all while completing the regular classwork. I hope to learn more about teaching students coming from different language backgrounds, especially since it will allow me to better serve my students - a great number of the student body at Segue come from Spanish language backgrounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment