6/19/12

Favorite Memories from after-school: Times2 Academy


My favorite after school program this year was Harry Potter Palooza, a class I created to bring together Harry Potter fans to celebrate the best wizarding story ever. What surprised me about the class was how enthusiastic Times Squared students were about Harry Potter, and how much they wanted to learn about the books, characters, and spells. Some activities we did were house sorting, wand making, and cauldron cake decorating. This was my most enjoyable class because every student wanted to be there, and they all had suggestions for making it more authentic. Students definitely learn better when they are working with something they enjoy, and I was glad to bring them Harry Potter once a week. It is great to connect with students using a shared interest, no matter how old they are!
~ Leah, 6th Grade

The Science of Happiness, was one of my favorite after school programs. This focused on Positive Psychology and ways to increase happiness. This program ran during the winter, so it was nice to focus on teaching happy things during a period that can be a little dark and dreary. This was a topic that Leah and I were both interested in so we co-taught the class together, which was nice to collaborate and share ideas.
- Nicole 


My favorite Freedom Friday was when we taught the kids about our culture. It was great to teach the students about my country which they never heard of. I had fun teaching my students greetings in creole (Cape Verdean language), and showing pictures of how people live there. I brought in some sweets and juice that they really liked,, but most of all they  I loved that they enjoyed dancing to Cape Verdean music even though they didn't understand the words, they still had fun.
- Kerry

No comments:

Post a Comment