3/7/13

My First Science Fair!

By Brandford


The Science Fair was an event that was unfamiliar to me. As a primary and secondary student I didn't receive the opportunity to participate nor did my school actually have a science fair. Being at Highlander and assisting students in their projects and be able to judge science projects was a tremendous privilege for me.

I watched students successfully struggle to plan and strategize for the best project possible. Students worked each day to construct ideas, from hypothesizing, to creating a project that can be proven through their experiment. I had the opportunity to monitor the 6th grade students progressively work to complete their projects as crunch time approached.


The 6th graders had some amazing projects from demonstrating corrosion with soda, using fruit as a battery source to make a light bloom. Students also displayed what happens when certain liquids are mixed with water and of course the traditional explosion of a volcano. Knowing a lot of the information from prior knowledge and being able to see it as a actually display and project was pretty intriguing.

The day of the science fair parents, teachers, students, and other community members came out to support those that were selected to be apart of the science fair night. The positive energy and excitement that filled the room was unbelievable. The education and awareness students were providing was great. Each viewer was impressed with the scientific work that the 6th, 7th, and 8th graders put together. This was truly a memorable moment for me being that it was my first time at a science fair, I enjoyed and appreciated the work these students did to educate us in a scientific manner.


No comments:

Post a Comment