2/15/12

ePals After school Reflection: Times2 Academy

ePals

ePals was a program designed for 3rd-8th graders to work on reading and writing skills in a fun way. We have been communicating with a classroom of 5th-8th graders from Christchurch, New Zealand. We learned how to write a letter and respond to letters via email. We also learned all about New Zealand, so we would have something to talk with our ePals about. Our New Zealand ePals attend a small school in a rural area. They have recently been affected by earthquakes some of the students were going through a difficult time. In Providence, earthquakes are not an issue that our students worry about. Hearing these concerns of the Christchurch ePals, TIMES2 students felt sorry for their friends, and lucky that earthquakes are a problem we do not have. Overall, the students in epals not only built their reading and writing skills, but gained a sense of global connectedness, and a broader view of the world outside Rhode Island.

Example of letters sent out and received:  

Caitlin,
Hello my name is Lesley I live in Rhode Island in providence I am 12 years-old 6th grade girl and I have 9 brothers and sisters. Five of them are my moms kids including me, and 4 of them are my dad’s girlfriend, but we all love each other no matter what. I live with my mom and my brothers, and sister me and my brother are some type of twins, we are 11months apart so me and him are very close to each other. My favorite sport is basketball, and my number is 12 I play for John Hope but my teammates aren’t so good at working together. My favorite food is rice and BBQ chicken. I am Dominican I attend Times2 Academy it is a school where you wear uniforms and I enjoy wearing uniforms. Because no one makes in front of what you are wearing, the colors of the uniform is dark purple and blue pants that have to be long. 
-Lesley


Hi Lesley, Thank you for your e-mail.
My name is Caitlin and I an 8 years old, I will be turning 9 on the 9th of May. I live in Christchurch New Zealand. I live in West Melron which is on the outskirts of Christchurch in the country. I live with my Mum (Linda), Dad (Craig) and little sister Alexandra who is 5 years old. We have 3 cats, 2 are Burmese called Indy & Zoe and we have just had my Grandmothers cat called Rosie come to live with us. I like sports & play Netball and Hockey at school. I love swimming, reading books, talking on the phone to my friends & watching TV. I have just done the school Triathlon and came first in the cycling.
-Caitlin


Thanks for reading about my after school program.
-- Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment