3/29/12

Freedom Friday Reflection

What was your favorite theme this year? Why?

Nicole: Times2 Academy Charter Corp
I am a huge fan of holidays, so my favorite themes have been the Valentine’s Day Dance and the Saint Patrick’s Day freedom Fridays! Both Fridays incorporated fun ways to celebrate and got the kids excited about learning and exploring, and of course a dance is always a blast!

Jill: Highlander Charter Corp
Dr. Seuss, because it allowed me to try out the mystery party idea that I had been working on – and the kids loved it!

Leah: Times2 Academy Charter Corp
My favorite theme this year was the brainteasers – probably because I am a brainteaser fanatic. I like to watch kids try to figure something out then go “ooohhh!!” when they finally get it.

Kirsten: Highlander Charter Corp
Family heritage and culture: Students got the opportunity to learn about the culture of China. They got to learn some of the Chinese language, make paper lanterns, watch a dragon dance, tai chi, and even read a book about how they celebrate their new year. It was a great opportunity for the students to learn about something new and a little about my family and culture.

Rachel: Times2 Academy Charter Corp
My favorite theme was Reptiles. I loved seeing the different snakes, lizards, and turtles that were brought. The best part was holding and enjoying them with the kids. Thinking about it I may have been more excited than the students were!

Natalie: Highlander Charter Corp
Reptiles because the guest brought in awesome animals and the kids were really into it.

Sophia: Highlander Afterschool Coordinator
Reptiles, Past/Present/Future and the Valentine’s Dance

Nellie: Highlander
My favorite theme was Dr. Seuss. I wasn’t sure how the older students would respond but they got really excited and into making fun snacks and watching videos.

Cyntoya: Times2 Academy
Service Learning

John: Highlander
Reptiles

Highlander Afterschool Coordinator
Family culture and heritage. It was awesome to share with my class my culture, heritage & my attempt at making a (what should be east to make, but wasn’t) dish from my heritage.

Highlander Afterschool Coordinator
Dr. Seuss and Superbowl

Dana – Expanded Learning Time Director (Highlander)
2012: Past, Present and Future!

Lissette: Highlander
Brainteasers because it challenged the students and myself.


Alenoush: Highlander
My favorite theme this year was Culture and Family Heritage. I truly enjoyed teaching the students about Armenian traditions and history. The students were excited to learn about Armenian folk dancing, how to write their name using the Armenian Alphabet, and watching my wedding video.

What were your two favorite activities from Freedom Friday?

Nicole: Times2 Academy
Kickball and Freeze Dance

Jill: Highlander
4th grade did a Murder Mystery Party, and had to solve the mystery of “Who Hopped on Pop?”
For the first Freedom Friday of 2012, we did a past–present-future activity with 3rd and 4th grade. I had a lot of fun with my groups, teaching them about the evolution of dance through the past 100 years!

Leah: Times2 Academy
I really enjoyed paper flower making and creating marshmallow-frosting Dr. Seuss hats.

Kirsten: Highlander
My two favorite activities were from our week where we celebrated Irish traditions and the students used construction paper and shamrocks to create “Shamrock Man” and they all came out so different and original. Also during this Friday the students drew beautiful rainbows out of chalk on the blacktop and they all came out colorful and creative.

Rachel: Times2 Academy
After School Teachback – I enjoyed seeing the different activities that the Highlander team was teaching and the performances by the students.
Valentine’s Dance – I can honestly say that was the best dance I have ever been to. Just dancing and laughing with the students made the night amazing.

Natalie: Highlander
Watching “Horton Hears a Who” and building Leprechaun traps for St. Patrick’s Day.

Sophia: Highlander Afterschool Coordinator
The Valentine’s Dance and making inventions during the past/present/future theme

Nellie: Highlander
The two activities I enjoyed the most were making cat in the hat snacks/ watching Dr. Seuss Video clips and completing “The find the leprechaun scavenger hunt.”

Cyntoya: Times2 Academy
Cleaning the school and making edible Dr. Seuss hats

John: Highlander
Valentine’s Day Dance – I enjoyed seeing all of the different age groups dancing together and letting loose and having fun.
Reptiles - It was great to interact with all of the different animals, and to see the students hold & share the animals all on their own. It was a good way to have them develop trust & responsibility.

Highlander Afterschool Coordinator
Eating and teambuilding activities

Highlander Afterschool Coordinator
Hip-hop dancing

Dana - Expanded Learning Time Director (Highlander)
team-building, arts programming, and animal show

Alenoush – Highlander
After School Teachback was an awesome Freedom Friday activity because my Zumba students and I were able to showcase what an exciting exercise program Zumba is and attract more students to taking a Zumba fitness class.
The 4th grade Murder Mystery Party, “Who Hopped on Pop?” was also an exciting and engaging activity for students during the Dr. Seuss Freedom Friday.

Freedom Friday Word Whip

   “Lively” said Nicole

                        “Fantastic!” said Jill

                                                “Diverse” said Kirsten

                “Super” said Leah Charter Corp

                                                        “Chaotic” said Natalie

                                Different” said Rachel & Lissette
                                                                                    
                “Awesome” said Sophia

“Exciting and Crazy” said Nellie

                                “Spontaneous” said Cyntoya

                                     “Dynamic” said John

         “Awesome & Crazy”

                 “Innovation” said Dana
 
                               “Riveting” said Alenoush
 

No comments:

Post a Comment