3/11/12

Justice Talks

The Justice Talks – Civic Reflection Series is a unique discussion and reflection civic engagement. 2011- 2012 is the sixth year of Justice Talks. Through this form of civic reflection, which is the practice of reading and discussing with an intentional group of people, participants build stronger bonds with one another; become familiar with authors and writers who have wrestled with similar social issues; respond to community issues with more creativity; and reflect deeply on how they want to participate in civic life – both on a short-term and long-term basis.

This was the reading used to start off out first meeting as a large group:

Turning to One Another
By Margaret J. Wheatley

There is no power greater that a community discovering what it cares about

Ask “What’s possible?” not “What’s wrong?” Keep asking.

Notice what you care about.
Assume that many others share your dreams.

Be brave enough to start a conversation that matters.
        Talk to people you know.
Talk to people you don’t know.
Talk to people you never talk to.

Be intrigued by the difference you hear.
        Expect to be surprised.
        Treasure curiosity more than certainty.

Invite in everybody who cares to work on what’s possible.
        Acknowledge that everyone is an expert about something.
        Know that creative solutions come from new connections.

Remember, you don’t fear people who story you know.
Real listening always brings people closer together.

Trust that meaningful conversations can change your world.

Rely on human goodness. Stay together.

Themes and Reading:

Week 1: Identity
          You Get Proud By Practicing – Laura Hershey
          The Boy Without A Flag – Abraham Robriguez Jr.
Week 2: Serving
          What We Don’t Talk About When We Talk About Service – Adam Davis
          The Eleventh – Henri Barbusse
Week 3: Community
        Waiting for the Barbarians – Constantine Cavafy
          Mending Wall – Robert Frost
Week 4: Motivation
        Still I Rise – Maya Angelou
          The Practice of Slowing Down – Phil Powers
Week 5: Power & Change
          Political Paralysis – Danusha V. Goska
          The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas – Ursula K. Le Guin
Week 6:
          The Real Rosa Parks – Paul Rogat Loeb
          The History Teacher – Billy Collins



Here is an example of one of the reading:

Still I Rise by Maya Angelo

You may write me down in history                          You may shoot me with your words,
With your bitter, twisted lies,                                You may cut me with your eyes,
You may trod me in the very dirt                           You may kill me with your hatefulness
But still, like dust, I’ll rise.                                      But still, like air, I’ll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?                               Does my sexiness upset you?
Why are you beset with bloom?                           Does it come as a surprise
‘Cause I walk like I’ve got oil wells                          That I dance like I’ve got diamonds,
Pumping in my living room.                                    At the meeting of my thighs?

Just like moons and like suns,                                Out of the huts of history’s shame
With the certainty of tides,                                  I rise
Just like hopes springing high,                                Up from the past that’s rooted in pain
Still I’ll rise.                                                         I rise
                                                                                    I’m a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Did you want to see me broken?                           Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops,                     Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
Weakened by my soulful cries?                            I rise
                                                                                     Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear
Does my haughtiness offend you?                         I rise
Don’t you take it awful hard                                 Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
‘Cause I laugh like I’ve got gold mines                    I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
Diggin’ in my own backyard.                                  I rise
                                                                                 I rise
                                                                                          I rise

No comments:

Post a Comment