5/3/13

Reflection Friday: What is one thing you learned from a teacher you worked alongside this year?


Leah (International): Working with Mr. Ben this year has taught me the value of giving kids frequent cycles of mind and body rejuvenation. Between just about every lesson he plays a game, sings a song, or gets the kids moving in some way - and it really helps them focus! He is not afraid to be silly, and that's something I'm more than happy to emulate. His practices have taught me the importance of those little in-between moments, and how even transition times can be spent in effective ways.

Brandford (Highlander): One thing that I learned from a teacher that I worked along with is to laugh when things are funny, laugh when things are serious, and laugh when you don't know what to do. Embrace the moments of the day and don't stress over the little stuff.

Jill (Highlander): My cooperating teacher spent the year encouraging me to work independently, and working with her has allowed me to learn more about perspectives in student learning. Although she is obviously the primary teacher, I am given a lot of chances to co-teach and teach independently, and through various methods, we work together to teach concepts in a variety of ways to play into student's varied learning styles. This has allowed me to learn how to teach from different angles in order to best facilitate student learning, and it has allowed me to become a better educator.

Francesca (International): Connie has been a terrific teacher to work alongside during my service in the Charter Corps. She has taught me how to work towards the perfect balance she achieves between disciplinarian and a warm, welcoming teacher.

Deyan (SRI, formerly Highlander): I learned the value of rotations while working with Mr. Bovay, this year. If there are enough teachers in the room to lead 3 or 4 stations, there’s no reason not to make rotations a part of your class routine. The small groups at each station make it so much easier to give students the individualized attention they need!

Nellie (Highlander): One thing that I learned from my teacher that I work with is to take some time during class for silence. Not as a punishment but as a way of getting centered, focused, and relaxed before starting the lesson/day.

Yairy (Segue): The one thing I learned from a teacher I work with this academic year is about systems. The systems' goal is to get students on task and to improve. One of the systems is the token system, where the student receives two talk tokens as a reminder to participate during class. Once the student participates the teacher rakes the token away and so on for the next token. The goal is to have the student participate twice for every class.

Dianny (International): This year I learned that you need to improvise when plans don't go the way you foresaw and that your agenda needs to be flexible in order to accommodate these changes. Basically, you need to be prepare for anything and everything to happen during your class!

Itza (International): Communication is key.

No comments:

Post a Comment