1/22/13

Role Model

By: Nellie

Similar to last year, I am involved with Highlander’s basketball program; this year being head coach for the girls team. I am learning a lot more than I did last year because I am in the front and have to take more control and responsibility for running a team. I am learning a lot about myself; being knowledgeable about the sport is very much different than motivating students to play, and helping them learn the fundamentals of the game. My favorite part about coaching is that it is essentially teaching in a different way. Recently some girls from my basketball team wrote a card to me and it was very touching. They mentioned that I am the best role model that they could ask for, and that I am nice and enjoyable. One piece of the note said that when they mess up or do something at practice; I don’t get mad I just encourage them to try harder. It makes me feel respected, and that I am accomplishing my goals of teaching life skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment