1/4/12

Meet John McGarry: Highlander

About Me:
Name: John McGarry
Hometown: Middletown, NJ
College attended: Brown University
Major: Philosophy
Siblings: Two sisters
Pets: Sigourney Weaver the Cat Friend
Favorite Color: Dark Blue
Hobbies: Biking, freeform radio, reading, cooking
Favorite Subject in School: Physics when I was in high school, Literature when I was at college

Service Year:
Grade and School that you serve at: Fifth grade at Highlander
Why did you choose to serve a year with Americorps:
I signed up last year because I wanted a fulfilling form of employment after graduating from college. This year, I’m looking to determine whether I want to continue on a path in the education world.

What has been your favorite part about working at Highlander:
I’ve really enjoyed getting to the students more closely during afterschool, and running fun activities with them, ranging from comic book creations to do-it-yourself robotics.

What do you hope to gain from your year of service:
I personally hope to gain a better understanding of my professional direction and increase my comfort as a teacher and facilitator. More importantly, I hope my students gain a source of trust, understanding, and help when they need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment